Blood work decoding
Blood work is an effective and measurable way to improve athletic performance and to assess potential health limiters, as it relates to your training and diet. Through blood testing, you learn what's happening inside your body and how it can be helping or hurting your performance. TEST DON'T GUESS. While blood testing is often used for confirming a current disease or medical issue, blood testing can be valuable to coaches and athletes to predict a potential problem before it becomes a performance or health limiter or to immediately identify a nutritional deficiency before it negatively affects training.
Through our blood decoding service, your health and performance is our top priority. By decoding your lab work, you will find comfort in having an experienced Board Certified Sport Dietitian address what changes need to be made in the diet and our training to help you regain your health or to take your training to that next level. Supplements may be advised. Without a blood test, you are simply guessing your way through the grocery store shelves and supplement aisles, wasting time and money. Blood testing provides information on how you can eat better, fuel smarter and supplement wisely to improve energy levels, health and performance.
We advocate early blood testing, before a problem arises, as well as immediate blood testing when you are feeling off. The earlier a blood test is taken and analyzed, the quicker you can make changes to your diet and training to restore your good health. Many times, athletes don't experience symptoms until health becomes severely compromised and performance declines. Through early blood testing, overtraining, injuries and health issues may be prevented.
Every blood test is different and every athlete is different. We suggest that athletes routinely check specific biomarkers that are commonly compromised through intense or high volume training or due to extreme dietary changes.
Athletes are most susceptible to vitamin and mineral deficiencies (ex. anemia), stress, hormone issues, inflammation and endocrine disorders. It is important that every blood analysis be compared to past results, as your "normal" range may not be the same as a reference range. We suggest blood testing twice per year - once in early season and once in peak season (every 6 months).
Understanding that your diet plays a significant role in your training, analyzing your blood work with a Board Certified Sport Dietitian is a scientific way to improve your performance. Although it's not as fun as training, blood testing and decoding provides you with a unique and quick opportunity to understand what exactly is going on within your body and to determine how your diet and training is helping or hurting your health and athletic development.
How does this service work?
- Get your blood tested. You can either meet with with a doctor who specializes in ordering tests for athletes so that you can get specific biomarkers tested OR you can get a comprehensive wellness profile from your general practitioner.
It is your responsibility to make an appointment to get your blood drawn. The cost of lab work is not included in this service.
- Purchase the blood work decoding service.
- Complete our online Blood Work Decoding questionnaire which you will receive via email within 24-hours of purchase.
- When you receive your blood work results, scan or copy your labs and send back via email. Marni will need 48-72 hours to review the lab work in great detail, along with your questionnaire so that she is fully prepared for the blood work decoding session. All lab results will remain confidential.
- 60-minute consultation - Labs results, dietary changes, adjustments to training and supplement recommendations (if applicable) will be discussed in full detail during your session.
- You will receive a detailed email follow-up in your inbox within 24-hours of your consultation discussing necessary diet, training and supplement recommendations.
- This service is not designed to diagnose health conditions. This is a service providing you with a nutrition and/or training intervention based on your labs in order to improve your health and performance as an athlete. If Marni detects a health condition from your labs that can not be improved with dietary and/or training adjustments, she will recommend to follow-up with your doctor for further testing.
- Optional: Additional follow-up*
One 30 minute follow-up session 12-16 weeks after initial consult to reassess labs, along with any necessary changes in the diet, supplement usage and training.