contact us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right.

Greenville, SC

Trimarni is place where athletes and fitness enthusiasts receive motivation, inspiration, education, counseling and coaching in the areas of nutrition, fitness, health, sport nutrition, training and life.

We emphasize a real food diet and our coaching philosophy is simple: Train hard, recover harder. No junk miles but instead, respect for your amazing body. Every time you move your body you do so with a purpose. Our services are designed with your goals in mind so that you can live an active and healthy, balanced lifestyle.

Trimarni Blog

A blog dedicated to exercise, nutrition and my life

Top Gun Triathlon Race Report

Marni Sumbal

I'll throw out the numbers first.....
59:22 finishing time
1/4 mile swim: 6:49
T1: 3:21
10 mile bike: 25:42 (1st age group!!!)
T2: 1:10
5K run: 22:22
3rd in 25-29 age group out of 46
7th overall Female
39th overall out of 762

So the race went well. I did a little of all of my race plans. I did all 3 sports well, I pushed hard and I went fast. Unfortunately, with the top 6 overall girls ranging from ages 16-29, I think I had my work cut out for me this morning.

I didn't sleep very well last night. The normal fear that my alarm wouldn't go off had me waking up every hour. The alarm finally went off at 4:30am and I was ready to get up. I wasn't nervous I was just super excited. A big change from last week when I thought I was going to throw up I was so nervous to do a cycling race. I just couldn't wait to get there.
Since I packed up my Hyundai last night with my bag and bike, all I had to do in the morning was turn on the coffee, fill up my water bottles and make my oatmeal. I prepared 3/4 package of instant oatmeal w/ raisins and a little banana w/ soy milk in a Tupperware bowl and grabbed a plastic spoon. Gotta love eating on the road. I poured my coffee in a travel mug and filled up my pre race water bottle w/ 1/2 scoop amino acids (base nutrition) and the race bottle w/ 1 scoop base nutrition AA's. The trip seemed to take forever but an hour later I was at Ft.Desoto. I parked the car and headed to the transition area for body marking and to get my chip.
I was a bit sad after I racked my bike and set-up my transition area because I didn't see many familiar faces. Where was everyone??? Well, finally...I started running into people. Probably because I arrived 90 minutes ahead of the start and I was just making a million trips (actually 2) to the bathroom before the start that I didn't see anyone for a while. It is also my friend's b-day HAPPY birthday GAY!!! She raced and I saw her and my friend Tony at the swim start. I got in the water just for a few minutes to do a few strokes and then headed to the swim start. I said hello to a few more faces, like Gary and Harold, two guys who I coached (Gary I'm still coaching) when I was in Clearwater.
There were two heats ahead of the 39 and under women heat so I waited 6 minutes until my start. The swim wasn't parallel to the shore like a normal Ft.desoto race and rather it was away from the shore, left turn, straight parallel to the shore, left turn and then back. Kinda like a rectangle with the long ends perpendicular to the shore. I noticed that many of the guys were being pulled to the right of the buoys on the way back because of the heavy current. There was a storm last night and the weather has been nasty here so aside from water ALL over the course, the water was a little rough w/ a strong current.
I swam well and tried to keep my eye on pink caps. There were only a few of them by me but I focused on the buoys so that I wouldn't get off course. I excited the water and as I made my LOOOOONNNGGGG run on a rough gravel road (because of the rain) I was actually looking forward to the bike. If there was one thing I wanted to do to today it was to leave the race with a good bike. I figured if i could suffer in a circuit race by drafting on a wheel of a female cyclist, I knew I would have a great time riding solo with 700+ of my local triathlon friends....and enjoy my aerobars :)
Well, I knew Karel would be proud of me. I didn't get passed by any girls and I was passing some of the guys who started 3 and 6 minutes ahead of me. The course is super flat but with wind in all directions, it makes for a hard 10 mile course. I knew I had to leave it all on the bike if I wanted to do well because I wasn't going to be able to hang with the fast runners. I barely had anything to drink on the bike (2 sips) but I wasn't too hot....until I started the run.
The heat hit me and I was super hot. I passed on water as I was exiting transition area since I was just behind another girl with a 29 on her calf. I turned around my visor because the wind was in my face and I just got into a rhythm with my breathing. By the time I hit the first mile I ran 6:35. I knew I wouldn't keep that up but I focused on my form as I headed to the turnaround. At this point, the u-turn now put us on the sand and we said good-bye to the concrete. I was far behind the girl with the 29 on her calf so I made many looks behind me to see if I was about to be caught. Nope...clear of all girls. I decided to just keep running fast and try to finish with everything left on the course.
By the time I got to mile 3 I was making a turn to the finish line. Just a little straightaway to go and I was able to get some water. I did grab water at aid station 2 and 3 but just for cooling. By the time I got to the finish I looked at the clock and saw that it said 1:05..I broke 1 hour! I've never broke an hour in a sprint before!!
Breaking an hour in a sprint means that you can swim fast, bike fast and run fast. I just never thought that I'd be able to "race" in a sprint distance. Well, it all came together today and I am really super happy. I think this was just what I needed to get some confidence back and start "racing" again. I love participating in races and giving it my all but sometimes I think I don't really give it my all. I just push hard and then smile across the finish. Well, I was smiling this time but that was just before I nearly collapsed at the finish.
I met up with Gay and we ran for 16 minutes on the sandy part of the course to cheer for other athletes. An hour or so later I picked up my award and headed home.
What an exciting day for all the athletes at Top Gun, especially the first timers. I just love this sport and I am ready for the HammerHead Olympic Distance Triathlon on August 24th!
Sorry I don't have any pictures of my race. I was alone this time. No parents, no Karel. So, just a race report.
*Karel rode with all his Gearlink friends this morning so we can't blame Karel for being a bad fiance. He had a great time and everyone was glad to see him again.