contact us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right.

Greenville, SC

Trimarni is place where athletes and fitness enthusiasts receive motivation, inspiration, education, counseling and coaching in the areas of nutrition, fitness, health, sport nutrition, training and life.

We emphasize a real food diet and our coaching philosophy is simple: Train hard, recover harder. No junk miles but instead, respect for your amazing body. Every time you move your body you do so with a purpose. Our services are designed with your goals in mind so that you can live an active and healthy, balanced lifestyle.

Trimarni Blog

A blog dedicated to exercise, nutrition and my life

Campy, Campy, Campy

Marni Sumbal

What a little booger.
After the marathon on Sunday, I had the day to enjoy my 26.2 mile finish. It was only 10:30 when I wobbled my way to my car so I had a good chunk of the day to recover. As I was driving home, I thought about the perfect concoction of ingredients for a great smoothie to help me recover. Then I would crash on the couch with campy in my lap and we would watch TV all afternoon. By early afternoon I would probably be ready for some pancakes and then I would have the rest of the day with Karel to relax. Karel did a 92 mile ride and headed straight to work (12-4) because the Trek store has been busy, busy, busy.
When I got home I immediatly let Campy outside to pee. As if walking up 3 flights of stairs was hard enough, it was agonizing walking down the stairs with an excited dog that wanted to go for a walk. Sadly, there was no walk that morning for Campy. I told him to do his 5-10 squirts so I could get out of my gross clothes and take a cold bath.
After I slowly made my way back up 3 flights of stairs (Campy met me upstairs, too fast for me) I went straight to the bedroom to start the shower. When I walked into my room I couldn't believe what I saw.
The bag of Karel's christmas gifts was torn to shreds. A few of his gifts were untouched but the 6 ounce, king size dark chocolate Hershey bar was gone. All that was left was the wrapper. Also, there were gingerbread cookies scattered all over the ground. I have learned two things. Both Campy and Karel love chcolate and just because you hide christmas gifts from your husband in the back of the closet, it doesn't mean that the dog won't find it.
I was so upset at Campy that I pointed my finger at home and told him NO! He started shaking and the poor little thing starts crying. Real tears, laying on his back, sad as can be. I tried to stay firm so I just went into the shower, rinsed off and then took a cold bath. I kept looking at Campy, curled in a ball on my bed, giving me the puppy dog eyes. He knew I was mad at him.
I had a little talk with Campy and then everything was ok.
I went to the kitchen, made my smoothie and stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes so that it would be nice and cold. As I waited for my smoothie to chill, I went on the internet to learn a little more about how lethal chocolate can be for dogs.
Apparently, 6 ounces of chocolate for a 11 lb dog is not a good thing. Campy seemed ok, no tremors, seizures, vomiting or diarrhea but as I did a little googling, I started to get really freaked out. If the word lethal is associated with my dog eating chocolate, I need to do something. So, I called the Emergency Vet just a few blocks down the road and they suggested that I bring him in, get him checked out and induce vomiting.
I called Karel and told him I needed to take him to the Vet even though Campy didn't have any symptoms. I am a "what if" person so I do not take very many chances, especially when it comes to my life, Karel's life, my families life and the life of each of my pets (even the fishies).
So, I told Campy we had to go back outside and I prepared myself for 3 more flights of stairs. Ouch, ouch ouch.
Into the car, hair still wet, a few spoonfuls of my smoothie in my tummy and my happy puppy.
Although I don't recommend animals getting sick on the weekends because it costs a lot more than a weekday, we were lucky to have no wait and the vet (and assistants) were really nice. Campy weighed 11.5 lbs, his temperature was good (he didn't appreciate the thermometer being put there) and after the check-up, the vet gave Campy something to make him vomit. I stayed in the room with Campy and the assistant and we just waited for Campy to get rid of the chocolate. It wasn't too long before Campy threw up a good amount of chocolate. Then, a few minutes later, an even bigger pile of throw up. Atleast it was all out of his system but it was then time for the liquid charcol. This substance is suppose to bind to the chemical in choclate, to prevent it from getting in the bloodstream. Campy wanted none of the charcol and I don't blame him. It was yucky! They had to force it in his mouth (in the other room) but he finally ate it. The doctor also put some cream on Campy's eyes because he appeared to scratch his eye as he was eating his breakfast of chocolate.
After a big bill and an hour in the vet, we were able to go back home. The vet gave me strict rules to avoid any loud noises and walks and to prevent him from getting excited. I wasn't sure if that was possible with Campy but I needed to keep him calm so he wouldn't get a seizure. Of course Campy was a bit anxious to get in the car, get outside at our apartment and take a walk but I carried him upstairs (once again, up three flights of stairs on tired marathon legs) and finally I was able to rest.
Campy was really overwhelemed at his point and you could see in his eyes that he was so tired and exhausted. I watched over him very carefully as I made my pancakes. My smoothie was too frozen to eat and I was so ready for some real food.
After I had my whole wheat pancakes, with raisins and banana and a few scrambled egg whites I finally crashed on the couch. I never complained once or felt bad for my morning because I wanted to be sure that Campy was ok. He was my only concern and I was happy that I finished the marathon.
After about 15 minutes on the couch, Campy finally took a nap on my lap. We both laid there for about 45 minutes and when I went up to go to the bathroom Campy got up with me. When I got out of the bathroom, I found throw up all over the white carpet floor. This was the dark charcol that Campy last ate and I said good-bye to our deposit for our apartment. I first cleaned up the piles of throw up and then called the vet.
They wanted us to come back so that they could give Campy more charcol in a syringe and then give me 3 tubes for me to give him later on during the night. They said he may have not been able to tolerate the amount of charcol so they wanted him to have smaller dosages. However, it was very important that he have the charcol in his system.
So, at 3:20, we went back to the vet. I wanted to be sellfish and just rest on the couch and wait until Karel came home at 4 but I knew I had to be there for Campy.
Back down 3 flights of stairs (it didn't feel any better as the day went on) and I limped my way to the car. My legs were just so tired and Campy wasn't sure if he wanted another ride.
After 10 min. at the Vet, we came back home and finally we could rest. My poor Campy was so tired and all he wanted to do was rest. Lucky for me, so did I!
I grabbed a quick snack and headed for my bed. Campy joined me until Karel came home. Of course Campy got excited when Karel came and it wasn't too much later that Campy threw up again. We ran out of carpet cleaner so Karel went right to the grocery store to get more.
Then Campy threw up again and again. Once on the fllor and then on the bed.
I called the vet again and they suggested that I bring him in to see if they could give him the charcol and for him to stay the night incase he threw up again.
Karel and I decided that Campy just needed a break and I told the Vet that I would bring him in if Campy had any seizures or threw up anymore. We stopped the charcol and finally, Campy stopped throwing up. It was 8pm and Campy was out.
It was around 7pm when the day kind of got to me and I just started crying. I felt so bad for Campy, I hadn't had much food all day, my legs were tired and I was exhausted. Karel said he would take care of everything and by 8pm I finally crashed on my bed with Campy.
I kind of took a nap around 8pm but I woke up at 10pm when Campy was running around the house like a crazy dog. The vet warned us of the caffeine and an already excited dog was now a super crazy dog.
So, after an eventful Sunday, Campy is just fine.
We are still giving him his prescription food and watching him. After a full Monday of napping, I think campy is back to his happy self.
No more chocolate!!!!