In all honesty, I try to feed us with loads of nutrients on a daily basis so that we can recover from our workouts, have energy for workouts and keep our immune system healthy. Oh-and of course I want the food to taste good so Karel looks forward to my "creations".
I've been feeding Karel really well this week so that his energy is up and he can feel strong for all his workouts. I am not sure if my recipes will get him a win at his upcoming races but at least he is getting great vitamins and minerals to keep his heart healthy and his muscles (and tummy) happy.
By the way...the recipes are vegetarian friendly but you can add meat if you want.
I had a lot of leftovers from my Fiesta wrap so the chickpea burger uses similar ingredients.
2 egg whites + 1 whole egg
Corn (about 1/4 cup)
Red beans (about 1/4 cup)
Firm Tofu (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 Onion sliced
Mushrooms (large handful)
Pita wrap (found at Hala store, publix or wal-mart)
1. Cook corn, mushrooms, onions and beans in a non-stick pan on medium heat w/ 1 tbsp. olive oil.
2. Heat veggie burger in microwave for 75 sec. Crumble veggie burger into veggie mixture.
3. Add tofu to veggie mixture. Stir everything together and add about 3-4 big spoonfuls salsa to mixture.
4. Turn off burner and cover pan.
5. Toast 1/2 pita in oven or toaster on low heat.
6. Stuff pita with mixture and top with shredded cheese.
1.5 cup chickpeas
Fresh parsly (about 2 tbsp.)
Onions (1/4 onion chopped)
Red Beans (1/2 cup)
2 egg whites + 1/2 yoke
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1/4 cup Salsa
1/8 cup whole wheat flour
1-2 slices whole grain bread or 1/2 bagel
1. Heat chickpeas in microwave bowl for 2-3 min. until soft. Use a spoon or clean hands to smush chickpeas.
2. In a big bowl, mix together chickpeas, parsly, garlic, eggs, mushroms, onions, beans and salsa.
3. Add flour and seasonings. Mixture should be like mushy hummus but if mixture is thick, add a little water (about 1-2 tbsp).
4. Pour 1 tbsp. olive oil on a non-stick pan on medium heat. Spoon 2-3 spoonfuls of mixture on pan. Cover burgers and let them cook for a few minutes. Flip when bottom is slightly brown.
5. While burgers are cooking, toast bagel or bread. If using a bagel, toast 1/2 bagel and cut that half lengthwise to give you 2 thin bagel slices (use a serrated knife!).
6. Top each bagel with hummus, burger and 1/2 slice deli swiss cheese.
7. Optional side: Jambalaya rice and stuffed mushrooms w/ rice.
When your vegeterian wife isn't looking, stick a piece of lean meat under the vegetarian burger :) Sneaky Sneaky