I spent $8 and got all this! What a steal!
(Sorry-Karel and I ate 1/2 the watermelon this weekend. Couldn't resist before I took the pic)
(I also got 5 zucchini's for $1. Laura and I split those)
I was determined to get a watermelon for less than $5 (I got it for $4) and I wanted to get a Zucchini. I wanted blueberries but they are still a bit expensive for me. Well, they aren't expensive if I lived by myself but my $3.50 carton of blueberries would last a day with Karel around. They were so big and they looked sooo delicious, but I think in a month the price will drop below $3 for a large container.
I am super excited about this recipe...
Although my recipe is not necessarily Low Calorie, I think I made it as healthy as I could. I am not a baker but I am very impressed at my skills for this recipe. I merged together a few recipes so I hope you like it!
*It came out super moist and it smells great! Perfect for the post workout snack after a long workout.
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup oats
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (can you believe I actually measured!!!)
1/4 tsp. all spice
1/4 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs (3 whites, 1 whole egg)
1 tbsp. light brown sugar
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 green apple (shredded)
2 cups zucchini (shredded) - about 1 medium sized zucchini
1 medium non-ripe banana, mashed (best if frozen first, then microwaved for 15-20 sec.)
1 cup raisins
1/4 cup soy nuts (or chopped walnuts)
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, all spice, ginger and salt. Mix well in a large mixing bowl.
3. Beat eggs in a bowl.
4. Mix together honey, brown sugar, oil, apple, zucchini, banana, nuts and raisins in a bowl. Add to eggs.
5. Mix together egg mixture and add vanilla.
6. Add wet ingredients (egg mixture) to dry (flour and oat mixture). Mix very well.
7. Spray 2 baking loaf pans (I used circular baking dishes) with non-stick spray.
8. Evenly spread mixture onto both pans.
9. Cook 20-30 min. or until slightly firm on top.
*Serve with fresh sliced strawberries and 2 spoonfuls of low fat vanilla yogurt.
*Remember-just because it's healthy, it doesn't mean it's calorie free. Portion control and enjoy every bite!