Oh how I LOVE pita bread and pita chips. I buy our pita bread at the local HALA store, up the road, for $1.75 for a package of 6 (what a steal!). However, as for the pita chips in a bag, that is just a treat a few times per year, usually when we are at gatherings/parties with friends. I do enjoy making my own pita chips with the pita bread and serving the chips with salsa and toasted chickpeas...yum!
Karel got back from Wisconsin yesterday around noon. Jeff and Karel had a great time at the Trek Headquarters for a manager seminar on Mon and Tues. Karel said that he learned a lot and he is so happy that works for such a great company. I got a few funny texts from Karel which I had to call him soon after just to make sure he wasn't kidding. The first text was about Jeff and Karel running up and down the hotel stairs to get in a workout, in addition to working out in the hotel gym. The next day I got a text regarding running in shorts and a long sleeve shirt in 30-degree weather without gloves or any running appropriate gear. Silly boys. I think it is so great that Karel is best friends with his boss and that his boss values fitness and health just as much as Karel. I do admit that Jeff and Karel enjoy a beer or two when they travel to Wisconsin and from what I heard, the Trek company feeds them well when they have conferences and seminars.
Anyways, when Karel landed in Jax he gave me a call and asked if I could bring him lunch. No problemo!
Here's a super easy and quick (and I mean quick!) pita that is packed with great nutrients to keep you satisfied at lunchtime.
1/4 cup Romaine Lettuce (chopped)
5 thinly sliced Cucumbers
5 thinly sliced Onion rings
5 slices Roma Tomato
1 slice provolone cheese
1 tbsp Sunflower seeds
2-3 tbsp salsa or 1 tbsp hummus
1 egg + 3 tbsp skim milk + Cooking spray
Pepper, cayenne pepper
1. Cut off the top 1/4 of the pita (lengthwise) leaving around 3/4ths of the pita (use the extra pita bread to make a small snack-sized PB&J).
2. Spray microwave safe bowl with 1 squirt cooking spray. Scramble egg and milk in a microwave safe bowl. Add a dash of pepper and cayenne. Cook in microwave for 1 min. Scramble egg with fork and cook an additional 15 sec. Scramble with fork and cook for 15 sec.
3. Place scrambled eggs in pita. Place cheese on top of egg.
4. Stuff pita with lettuce, onions, cucumbers and tomato.
5. Place sunflower seeds inside pita for a nice crunch.
6. Pour salsa inside pita or spread 1 tbsp hummus on top of pita bread. Close pita and wrap in tinfoil.