For all of my Jewish friends (and my family), potatoes and Matzoh can get a little boring near the end of Passover. I decided to make French Fries and wow..it's been a long time since I've had a REAL french fry. However, my homemade french fries were super delicious that I don't think even the restaurants can compare to my latest healthy creation.
For those celebrating Easter (or for anyone who enjoys a healthy muffin), I took a spin off carrot cake and created a fiber-filled muffin with a super delicious pineapple topping.
I find the muffin delicious due to the scrumptious-sweet topping.
Enjoy and happy holidays!
Passover French Fries
2 Idaho Potatoes (peeled)
1-2 tsp olive oil
Pepper and additional spices/herbs
1. Cut potatoes in half and slice into fries. Continue slicing until the fries are thin.
2. Soak fries in cold water for 30 minutes to remove starch.
*Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
3. Place fries on paper towel and let dry for 10 min (this is important to make a crunchy fry).
4. Place fries on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Toss.
5. Add pepper and additional spices, toss again.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until brown and crunchy. May need to toss in the oven around 30 minutes.
*This is Karel's plate - I have made him a sardine-dish the night before every race where he has landed on the podium so I guess I am becoming superstitious. This is his sardine + black bean pizza on pita bread.
Carrot muffins with pineapple cream cheese frosting
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp nutmeg
3 tbsp chopped walnuts
3 tbsp chopped cranberries
1 egg + 1 egg white
1 tbsp blackstrap molasses (you can use honey)
1 apple (peeled and shredded)
1 cup shredded carrots (about 3 large carrots)
1 capfull vanilla extract
1/4 cup water (at the end)
3 tbsp crushed pineapple
2 ounces fat-free cream cheese
1 tbsp powdered sugar
1 capfull almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Mix well.
3. Combine wet ingredients (except water) and stir well.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry. Stir until well combined. Add water and mix.
5. Pour batter into muffin tins (sprayed with non-stick spray) about 3/4th tall
*I made 12 muffins and 9 mini muffins
6. Bake for 12-20 min. or until top of muffin is golden brown and firm on top.
7. When muffins are cool, blend pineapple, cream cheese, sugar and extract until almost smooth (it will probably look a little clumpy cause of the pineapple).
8. Place a tsp or two of topping on each muffin.