contact us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right.

Greenville, SC

Trimarni is place where athletes and fitness enthusiasts receive motivation, inspiration, education, counseling and coaching in the areas of nutrition, fitness, health, sport nutrition, training and life.

We emphasize a real food diet and our coaching philosophy is simple: Train hard, recover harder. No junk miles but instead, respect for your amazing body. Every time you move your body you do so with a purpose. Our services are designed with your goals in mind so that you can live an active and healthy, balanced lifestyle.

Trimarni Blog

A blog dedicated to exercise, nutrition and my life

Weekend training and furry friends

Marni Sumbal

Two quality long days of training are done.
Although I had a tentative schedule of what I would do this weekend, Karel decided to change things up for me and challenge me on the bike. I was all for it.
On Sat I rode with Karel and the Open Road group for a very fast 35-mile ride. I can think back to a few months ago when this 25+ mph ride was a "barely hang on" ride for me but on Sat, I was just chillin' in the back on my tri bike. Karel was taking it easy in the back until he got a flat around 20 miles into the ride. He told me to keep on going and that he would just do his own thing after he quickly changed his flat (It takes him all of 2 min. to change a flat).
After the ride I gathered my fuel belt, garmin and visor, put on the running shoes and headed out for a run.
My piriformis syndrome came back very strong after our long week of traveling and I expected it to happen. Even with a week of cardio recovery and a little strength training(Mon off, Tues, Wed, Fri swim, Thurs bike, Sat & Sun bike) my hip/butt/quad/knee was still causing me soreness/pain after 7 days of active recovery and LOTS of stretching, ice and tennis ball rolling. I was heading in the right direction, nonetheless, so I continued my therapy routine and by Wed of last week, I was running again. Because I still had a bit of inflammation in my butt and quad, I decided to walk/jog for 30 min and gradually get back to my normal routine. I did the same thing on Fri for my run of 35 min, but rather than walk 3/run 2 (WED WORKOUT), I was able to do 4 min run and 1 min walk. I couldn't have been more happy with my recovery but you better believe I continue to count my blessings that I am able to control my piriformis syndrome. It affects me after sitting for long periods of time but I wasn't doing the best over the past few months of stretching and rolling on the tennis ball (good pain!!). Another one of my secretes of effective recovery (aside from good nutrition)...compression!! I live in my compression shorts and I believe they are the missing link to helping me manage my injury.

I really love my sport and I also love my healthy eating routine. Whereas in years past I always got a little frustrated and sad when my injury came about, this time was completely different. I felt control with my diet (more than ever) and I didn't associate any guilt or restriction. I just ate my normal healthy meals and creations and accounted for my reduction in exercise/training. I also stayed positive with my training and assured myself that regardless of how long it takes me to feel 100% again (right now I feel around 80%) there is no point "trying" to "get through" a workout with an injury. I have nothing to prove by finishing a workout because I care more about what I put into the workout than just finishing the miles.

After the bike on Sat I was feeling ready to run so I decided to add a little walking just to be sure I could control any inflammation or tightness. Luckily, I felt good the entire run but decided not to change my plan.
I did 7.15 miles after my fast bike and wanted to keep on running! I Love those days.
It didn't feel as long as it took because I was really enjoying my little walk/stretch breaks and just smiling that I was able to run.
I ended up running .9 miles and walking for .1 miles. I did that 7 times.
The .9ish miles took me about 6:30-7 min (I was holding a very comfortable and easy 8 min/mile pace) and the .1 was around 2 minutes. I'd call that a successful workout based on my last two weeks!
Of course, the workout wasn't over when I got back into our apartment so as Karel watched the Giro (if you aren't watching it on the US is the most exciting race I've seen compared to years past!) I rolled my rt glute on the tennis ball, did my stretches, did my butt exercises, stretched again, had my recovery drink and iced. All in my sweaty clothes because I knew if I showered and started to prepare my post workout meal, I would put-off my vital recovery plan. After the shower came the compression shorts and socks and finally, it was time for breakfast.

This morning I had the pleasure of riding with my bike coach/hubby. Wow, 2 days riding with Karel!! He sure knows how to make me work hard.
He gave me sets throughout the workout and I was feeling good. Sadly, we got no tailwind for our 63 mile ride (around 3 hrs and 15 min) so with headwind and lots of cross wind, I'd say we both had our share of working hard. Of course Karel pushes me no matter if I am pulling (doing my sets) or if I am drafting on his wheel. Every time that I was in the front I was cautious to pay attention to my form and cadence as well as staying focused with my power.
My first set was 20 minutes w/ 10 min recovery.
Second set was 2x (5 min @ 10 watts higher than my 20 min effort, 5 min @ 10 watts lower than 20 min effort. 5 min recovery).
Third set, after Karel pulled for almost 40 min. (my legs got pretty tired behind him), I finished off the day with another 20 min. effort.
We saw a lot of our friends out riding today and they all had funny comments to Karel when they went by "Hey Karel, you letting your wife pull you around like that? Is she making you hurt?" We laughed :)

After my ride I decided to wait until next week for a quality post-long bike run. However, I always have campy miles in me :)
Campy toughed it out for 2 miles (25 min) and I could tell he was hot. Let's just say that Campy needs a bit more time to get acclimated to the Florida heat. I don't run him more than 2-3 miles in the summer cause he hasn't figured out how to pace himself when we run. He likes to sprint for 10 min. and then pee on every bush on the way back. I don't mind the heat one bit but I think Campy needs a doggy fuel belt. Next time I will bring him water :)

Well, recovery session is done and I'm doing a little resting on the couch with my furry little friends. Karel is working until 4 :(
However, Karel and I will be heading down to the Landing in downtown Jacksonville and meeting up with Laura and Beethoven for Yappy Hour. I love taking Campy to doggy events.
Hope you had a great weekend!

My furry little friends....doing what they do best!