Although Karel is not a vegetarian I always cook a vegetarian meal for the both of us. It is up to him if he wants to add "extras" to his meal or eat something after dinner but when he comes home from work, there is always something plant-based ready for him to try.
Several nights a week I try to cook chicken or fish for him but on average, when I prepare an additional non-vegetarian dinner for him it likely tuna or deli meat inside a vegetarian creation. On most days of the week we have a salad w/ dinner or as the main part of dinner.
Here are two easy dishes to please both the vegetarian and the non-vegetarian.
Enjoy my latest creations!
1/3 carton of firm tofu (cubed)
2 large handfuls of spinach
2-4 spoonfuls marinara sauce
1/4 - 1/3 cup sliced onion
1 cup sliced mushrooms
Fresh basil leaves (mine were from a garden, not grocery)
1 serving whole wheat pasta noodles (per person)
1 - 2 tsp olive oil
1 large garlic clove (chopped)
Seasonings - pepper, curry powder
1. Cook pasta to your liking
2. While pasta is cooking, heat pan to medium heat and add olive oil and garlic.
3. Add tofu, onion and mushroom. Cook until soft and brown.
4. Add marinara sauce and chopped basil leaves (or you can use basil seasoning) and stir.
5. Add spinach and turn heat to low and cover.
6. Drain pasta and place 1 serving of pasta in shallow bowl.
7. Top with a big spoonful of veggie-tofu mixture.
Tuna stuffed broiled tomato
1 large vine tomato (mine was fresh from garden, not grocery)
1 can tuna (packed in water)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 celery (chopped)
2-3 tbsp chopped onion
2 tsp spicy mustard
1 tbsp mayo
Small handful of shredded mozzarella cheese
Basil leaves (chopped)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees - set to broil
2. Scoop out inside of tomato after carving around the top with a knife.
3. Place the tomato on tinfoil, on your baking dish
4. Combine tun, garlic, celery, onion, mustard, mayo, basil and seasonings and stir.
5. Pack tuna mixture inside of tomato until it is stuffed.
6. Broil for 10 min or until tuna begins to brown.
*Use extra tuna mixture on a sandwich thin and broil in oven for 2-3 min. Topped with a little fresh swiss cheese (shredded)
Salad to go along with dinner OR as dinner
Hard boiled egg