So what's so special about this cruciferous white vegetable?
Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamin C and K which is great for wound healing/collagen repair and blood clotting, respectively. It is also a good source of potassium, fiber, phosphorus and B vitamins and acts as a wonderful antioxidant which helps lower the risk of oxidative stress in our cells. It is also a very good source of omega-3 fatty acids (ALA), which can also aid as an anti-inflammatory. Cauliflower also contains fiber to keep your GI system healthy. Of course, with cooking we will loose some of these vital nutrients but in my opinion, eating your fruits and veggies in their natural form (cooked or raw) is better than not eating them at all.
I hope you enjoy my latest creation. I promise, it is YUMMY!!!
1 stalk Cauliflower (cut off the stems and cut into smaller pieces)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion (sliced)
1 medium green pepper (sliced)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 vine tomato (larger, chopped)
3 eggs + splash of milk
~ 1/4 cup marinara sauce
Spices: pepper, paprika, curry powder.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Oven Cooking time: 30 min.
1. Steam cauliflower in large pot w/ a little water on med heat (cover to speed cooking time) for about 5-8 min.
2. When you can easily smash cauliflower with wooden spatula, turn heat to low and add olive oil, garlic and onions (water should be gone, if not, drain water from pot prior to adding olive oil, garlic and onions).
3. Give a few tosses and add curry powder. Cauliflower should be smashed and chunky.
4. Turn off heat, add tomatoes and green pepper and combine.
5. In a non-stick glass square casserole dish (sprayed with non stick spray, especially around edges), add cauliflower mixture.
6. Scramble eggs with milk and add marinara sauce, pepper and paprika to egg mixture. Combine well.
7. Slowly pour egg mixture over cauliflower mixture until evenly covered.
8. Bake for 25-30 min or until top is firm and golden brown around the edges.
9. Turn off heat and sprinkle with cheese and place casserole back in oven until cheese is melted (a few minutes).